You’ve noticed your skin is changing.
I have a suggestion for you.Instead of looking for a new brand, look for a new consultation.Of course, the brand you choose is VERY important but despite the huge array on offer these days, many skin care brands just do not stack up or sometimes they’re just not quite right for you. Or, you didn’t get the right advice to start with. Before you go out and spend money on promises that can’t be kept. Get a consultation with a skin care professional. Not just any old 5 minute consult, nope. A full consultation which includes a skin diagnosis. This is where you will really find out about your skin and the best skin care brand for you and anything else that may be available to fix your skin.
The best place to start.Most of us wander in to the easiest and most obvious place, the department store beauty counter and then, most of us either walk out disillusioned or with a ton of overpriced cosmetics that might work, but then again, they might not. You get home, full of hope, anxious to squash the nagging thought that you’ve just spent a bajillion dollars on something that you’re not even sure is going to work. Or, you just took the samples for fear of being burnt again. But that feels a little unsatisfying as you really were keen to do something meaningful for your skin. But, you err on the side of caution. Try before you buy.. Right?Of course you could ask your best friend what she uses or you could trawl the internet for advice, but these days the internet is just as confusing, when most beauty bloggers are so young, how could they possibly relate to a product for your skin at 45? As for your friend? Well her skin is probably nothing like yours.. Or perhaps, you’ve decided to seek out the advice of a beauty therapist. Get a facial, ask a few questions, get a few more samples to try. By now, you’ve got a bathroom full of half used samples and you’re still not sure what to do next. Perhaps, you’ll try to mix it up a bit with all the brands you’ve tried. Yet to be convinced, this seems like the safest option. Weeks go by, still no satisfaction and yet you are motivated to buy. After all, getting those samples gave you some semblance of trust and relieved your anxiety a little. So, you take the plunge, part with your money, even though it still feels like nothing more than ‘hope’.
We are so vulnerable and the more we want something to be true, the more vulnerable we become.
How do you reconcile in your mind the money you’ve just spent and your deep need to do something to slow down the age of your skin? Can you ever justify it?
The power of a good skin consultation.
The skin consultation is truly where it’s at!! And this is what to look for.
1. Your skin should always be examined prior to any product recommendation.Even if you have found yourself in a department store, if your skin has not been accurately diagnosed, how can they possibly recommend anything for you?
2. They will ask the right questions in a way that reveals what your concerns are.If it feels right, then don’t be shy about sharing your skin care concerns. This is important. The skill of the professional will also be determined by what they uncover. They will instinctively know the right questions to ask you and explain to you exactly what’s going on with your skin. They can put a name to your concerns and share their solutions.
3. They will listen to your concerns over and above their need to sell you a product. (The sign of a true professional)Once recognized, your skin care professional should be able to explain to you how and why your skin is the way it is and why the ingredients in any product recommended is going to work for you. If they don’t understand your skin how can they possibly offer you solutions?
4.They should welcome your questions and be able to answer all of them.But, if they’re really good, they’ve anticipated your worries and they’ve already addressed them. They are well on their way to earning your trust. They know their stuff.
5. The key active ingredients in a product do matter!!They can and will explain the key active ingredients in a way that you understand but also, that makes complete sense to you. You will walk away knowing why (xyz) ingredient is going to diminish your skin care issue.
6. Facts should be laid bare and all options provided to you.At this point, how much you want to spend should be a secondary consideration. Of course how much you spend is important, but getting the right advice and knowing what is available to you and the best approach to take over the coming weeks and months in order to get the results you are hoping for should come first.
7. It’s time to make a plan.Even if you have plenty of disposable cash to spend on your skin, go slowly, allow your skin time to rejuvenate itself. Take baby steps before moving on to more intensive products or treatments. Allow time for your skin to become stronger and your confidence in your skin care professional to grow. A true professional will have no interest in bombarding you with products. They will create a plan for your skin. This is not a quick fix, this is long-term results.
A treatment plan gives you options and informs you of what else is available and the necessary referrals you may also need to hasten results. If this didn’t happen during your skin consultation then you may not be getting the best advice. And as much as you wish it were true, you will never be happy with a quick fix! It will be a waste of your time and money.You have not reached your destination yet, but you have begun the journey. Begin with the end in mind.